Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Another Drama Filled Episode of The Biggest Loser

Trish is traveling, so I am taking care of this week's post. Another drama filled episode! Here's what I'm thinking about:

What happened to the green team? I really liked them in week one and still have a soft spot for them, but they do seem to have a chip on their shoulders. They also seemed to have more of a competitive spirit earlier in the show. I was sad to see Migdalia voted off but am so glad that they do show you where the voted off contestant is now. Good to see that she is still losing weight.

I can't stand Melissa. I was going to ask did she lie, but I really don't care. I just don't like her. At all. There usually is one contestant per season I do not like, and she's it for this one.

How do they lose so much weight so quickly? OK, I'm still struggling with my impatience and jealousy, and the numbers they pull just kill me. They've all lost more in weeks than I have in a whole year.

What do you think of Bob and Jillian's approach to the contestants? I do like how this show contrasts their two styles. Jillian's contestants lose more weight, and I agree with her emphasis on emotions, but there were times tonight when I thought Bob was much smarter in his approach.

How do the contestants' journey relate to folks trying to lose weight at home? I came up with ten lessons I've learned from watching this show, but I'm taking another look at this question. I think their emotional journeys can be relevant, but I wonder if I need to continue watching this show. The amount of weight they are able to lose in a short period of time is just not achievable for me. Yes, it could be a metaphor, but still... If you watch it, what do you get out of it?

Who are you rooting for? I don't really have a favorite yet. Pulling for someone always makes it more interesting and fun.

If you watched the latest episode of The Biggest Loser, what are you thinking about? The consensus on Twitter is definitely anti-red team and anti-beard (brown team). If you are on Twitter, you can follow me at: http://twitter.com/healthywrtr I'm having too much fun with it since I signed up Sunday.

If you want a proper recap of last night's episode, you may want to go to nbc.com.

6 comments:

Michelle Butler on January 27, 2010 at 10:19 AM said...

From the Programming Insider:

Over at NBC, bona fide hit The Biggest Loser averaged a 6.5/10 in the overnights from 8-10 p.m., building by half-hour as follows:

The Biggest Loser (NBC)
8:00 p.m.: 5.5/ 8 (#3)
8:30 p.m.: 5.7/ 8 (#3)
9:00 p.m.: 7.0/10 (#3)
9:30 p.m.: 7.8/12 (#2)

Keep in mind, of course, that The Biggest Loser always scores among key adults 18-49. With stronger lead-in support, canceled The Jay Leno Show finished second at 10 p.m., with a 4.4/ 7. But retention out of the 9:30 p.m. portion of The Biggest Loser was only 56 percent.

Trish Milburn on January 27, 2010 at 4:39 PM said...

Thanks for posting for me, Michelle. I haven't been able to see last night's episode yet, but looking forward to watching it when I get home.

As far as how much they lose so quickly, it's because this is their full-time job while they're at the ranch. They focus on weight loss 24-7.

Michelle Butler on January 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM said...

I didn't do as good a job as you do.

Thanks for the reminder that losing weight is their full-time job. Who wouldn't want to lose as quickly as they do?

Elise Hayes on January 28, 2010 at 7:27 AM said...

I've actually gotten interested in the show because of this blog, so I've watched two half-episodes thus far. I missed this week's, though, so I have a "plot" question: what happened with Melissa this week? In the preceding week, she had only lost one pound and both Jillian and Bob accused her of "throwing" the week (I think that was the expression?). They started a big fight at the weigh-in, where she denied what they were saying, but then said that this wasn't the time or place for the discussion.

So...what happened?

Michelle Butler on January 28, 2010 at 9:41 AM said...

There were more confrontations between Melissa and Bob and Jillian. Melissa still swears she's not lying. (If she's not - which I doubt - how bad for her psyche to be accused of it about weight loss.) Bob basically decided he's 99% sure she's lying, but there's 1% of doubt and because of that he backed down on calling her a liar.

Jillian believes she's lying (Jillian says she understands the science of weight loss), and she won't say she believes Melissa. For awhile, the red team refused to work with her (particularly the husband), but Melissa convinced her husband that they needed to still work with Jillian bc she's so effective. Jillian did say that Melissa would lose big this week, and she did lost 11 pounds.

The bigger conflict between the red team and others this week is that they won some kind of challenge which gave them immunity. It also gave them three cards (no access to the gym, a 2-pound penalty, and no vote at the next vote to send someone home session) that they had to give away. (In their defense, they did not know this when they tried to win.) Anyway, that caused some conflict - particularly with the green team, whom they gave the 2-pound penalty. And, Melissa is not smooth at all - she can cause waves easily - and she and Miggy (another not smooth person/green team member) really butt heads.

Elise Hayes on February 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM said...

Wow, I missed a lot! I'll try to catch this week's episode...

Post a Comment

 

Healthy Writer Copyright © 2009 Girlymagz is Designed by Bie Girl Vector by Ipietoon